Friday, March 11, 2016

FUNDAMENTALS – Beauty



            We’re having a teachers’ party. Ice cubes that tinkle around smoky liquid in fat glasses, chips and dip, and cigarette smoke that hovers below the ceiling.  I slap a jar of Ponds cream into my mother’s palm with the precision of a surgical nurse. Tan fingers plunge into thick white cream and sweep across her forehead, cheeks, and neck. She does not use gentle upward strokes as recommended by McCalls, but slathers it with vigor, daring a wrinkle to flaw the landscape of her Sophia Loren bone structure. She tips her head back and coaxes outer lashes into cat eyes with Maybeline’s Blackest Black mascara. She purses her full lips and paints red, starting on the top lip and gliding right and left before finishing along the bottom in a smooth arc.  I put the gold tube in the drawer. The shade is Vixen. I hand her a square of toilet paper. She blots and surveys her reflection. I watch her face in the mirror. Long ebony hair, shimmering blue eyes, cheek bones, lips, something else I can’t define but makes me think of biting into a peach, juice dribbling down my chin.
She brushes my hair into a pony tail, raking the bristles across my scalp and pulling my hair so tightly that my eyes pull back at the corners and blur with tears.  Our eyes meet in the mirror.  If you want to be beautiful, you have to suffer,” she says. 
I tip toe through the living room. Glasses and beer bottles cover every surface. Ash trays overflow with cigarette butts, many with pink and peach rings of lipstick. A man throws up in the kitchen sink. He wipes his mouth and stares at me. His collar wears the same red lips from the toilet paper blot. Vixen.

            Moonlight streams through my window and across my covers. Maybe my mother was wrong. Maybe beauty causes suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment